At Magic Bus, we are supporting some of the most marginalized children and youth in India to lift themselves out of poverty. We are looking for talented and driven individuals to help us deliver a long-term, sustainable and bold strategy aiming to reach a million children across India. If you want to be part of Asia's largest mentoring organisation and work towards making a significant difference to people living in poverty, then please look through our vacancies below.
If you think you might be suitable or know someone who is, please contact [email protected]. (Please add the Position Title in the Subject line of your email).
Trainer and Counsellor - Livelihood
Location: Mumbai, Dharavi and Dahanu
No. of Positions: 3
This role requires the person to deliver employability skills, life skills, financial literacy and other work related training that empowers youth to take up employment or further education.
- Deliver a structured induction programme to each group of youth starting on the Livelihood programme
- Lead all training in the Livelihood Centres for the Magic Bus Livelihood programme, which delivers skill training to youth and supports them into jobs and further education placements
- Deliver Sports for Development activities to youth using Magic Bus curriculum and in house resources to engage youth successfully and enhance their learning
- Deliver training content developed by Magic Bus National Programme Development Team and tailor this where necessary to the local context whilst ensuring session outcomes are delivered.
- Ensure training outcomes are achieved in each session and youth receive consistent messages throughout all training interventions
- Design an effective Livelihood Centre training timetable with the Centre Coordinator and ensure that this is constantly monitored and updated to enable youth to access the training they need
- Apply and continuously develop innovative training techniques to make training more effective, fun and interactive
- Undertake comprehensive needs assessments 1:1 with youth to identify their strengths & limitations, training and life skills needs and overall targets for the programme
- Work in partnership with the Centre Coordinator or specialist career counsellors during the needs assessment to ensure youth have the impartial Information, Advice and Guidance that empowers them to make positive choices about potential careers
- Act as the lead worker in the first phase of youth’s engagement with Magic Bus Livelihood programme and ensure all youth receive the full and proper offer during this time
- Using the needs assessment and guidance findings support each youth to draw up a Personal Development Plan that contains the training activities and targets that they will work towards
- Support youth to achieve the skills training, mentoring and employer activities outlined in their individual Personal Development Plans in partnership with the Placement and Partnership Officers who focus on referrals to employers and training institutions
- Lead the matching of youth to mentors and support mentors to deliver their roles successfully.
- Engage and motivate youth positively at all times ensuring youth are aware of their weekly timetables and attend the correct sessions
- Deliver a sharp focus on all training and counselling contributing to successful youth placement, training or further education and being able to sustain these for 6 months
- Contribute to mapping institutions (government / NGO/ private and corporate foundations) that provide skills training opportunities in the local areas
- Monitor youth’s attendance and undertake mid-way performance reviews that assess youth’s progress against their targets
- Identify and respond to risks that could lead to youth dropping out of the programme.
- Build strong and trusted relationships with youth from the start of their engagement with Magic Bus.
- Work with colleagues in the communities to ensure the mobilisation of youth happens effectively and selection criteria are properly implemented
- Work with colleagues at district and regional level to continuously improve the quality of Magic Bus Livelihood programme and ensure our work is always safe and enjoyable for youth
- Undertake data collection and reporting duties that demonstrate the effectiveness of the Livelihood programme.
- Act as a role model at all times demonstrating behaviour that displays the characteristics youth should develop to be successful in their chosen field.
- Minimum 1-year experience of working with and achieving positive outcomes for disadvantaged 17-25-year-olds or a portion of this age range
- Direct experience of delivering employability skills and life skills training and achieving positive outcomes with youth
- Knowledge of Sports Development activities or experiential learning techniques (desirable)
- Experience of financial literacy training (desirable)
- Knowledge of Basic Computer and English Speaking Skills
- Relevant degree or similar professional qualification from a reputed institution
- Knowledge of youth needs with regard to progressions into work or further education.
- Experience of need assessment and/or creating personal plans and targets with youth.
- Experience of either employability skills, job placement, youth development or vocational training programmes either directly or indirectly (desirable)
- Experience of working with or managing mentors (desirable)
- Experience of reviewing progress against individual’s training programme targets
- Experience of engaging with wider stakeholders in disadvantaged communities including parents, schools, colleges, panchayats
- Experience of providing guidance to young people on a range of development issues including career or education choices.