With a population of 10,391, Upparipeta is located in urban Nandyal. Vysyas are the predominant caste group in this area. Telugu is the main language. 63 percent of the households in this location lie below the poverty line. Daily wage work is the only source of livelihood for people living in Upparipeta.
There is a primary health centre in the vicinity. There are four hospitals near the community, out of which three are private. There are five schools located at a distance of 4km from Upparipeta, only two of them are government schools. Three colleges, one government and two private, are located at a similar distance from the community.
Magic Bus began working here in 2014. We have 60 children on our programme here.
A few of the areas of behaviour change addressed by Magic Bus volunteers and mentors include:
• Importance of personal and environmental hygiene
• Equal treatment of boys and girls
• Importance of education
• Respect for elders
Magic Bus sessions are held once every week on Thursdays between 3.30pm and 5.00pm.
Magic Bus Sessions here are divided into three broad parts:
• Warm up: The development goal is introduced using interactive activities
• Main activity: The development goal is reinforced using sports and activities
• Review: A discussion is facilitated to draw parallels to real-life situations and sum up the learning objectives.
Photographs from Magic Bus areas of operation are used for representation only.