Tekke in urban Nandyal of Kurnool, Andhra Pradesh, is home to a population of 1,720 persons. Residents mostly belong to a single community of the Malas, who are registered as a Scheduled Caste (SC) group in Andhra Pradesh. Telugu is the main language. 89 percent of the households lie below the poverty line.
Daily wage work is the primary livelihood option of the residents settled here. Domestic work is more common among the women. This community is well-connected to a Primary Health Centre and a hospital.
Magic Bus began working in this community since 2014. There are 89 children on our programme here.
A few of the areas of behaviour change addressed by Magic Bus volunteers and mentors include:
• Importance of personal and environmental hygiene
• Equal treatment of boys and girls
• Importance of education
• Respect for elders
Magic Bus Sessions here are divided into three broad parts:
• Warm up: The development goal is introduced using interactive activities
• Main activity: The development goal is reinforced using sports and activities
• Review: A discussion is facilitated to draw parallels to real-life situations and sum up the learning objectives.
Photographs from Magic Bus areas of operation are used for representation only.