Sunkalamma street in Kurnool district of Andhra Pradesh has a total population of 4,658 people distributed across 751 households. Inhabitants mostly belong to the Scheduled Caste community of Malas. Telugu is the main spoken language. 75 percent of the households in this community fall below the poverty line.
Construction labour is the primary livelihood option. Many people run small roadside stalls or work as auto-drivers. There is no primary health centre nearby but one government hospital is just a kilometre away. There are three schools in the vicinity out of which two are private schools. A child has to travel 4km to reach the nearest private college.
Magic Bus began working in this community in 2011. We have 30 children on our programme here.
A few of the areas of behaviour change addressed by Magic Bus volunteers and mentors include:
• Importance of personal and environmental hygiene
• Equal treatment of boys and girls
• Importance of education
• Respect for elders
Magic Bus Sessions here are divided into three broad parts:
• Warm up: The development goal is introduced using interactive activities
• Main activity: The development goal is reinforced using sports and activities
• Review: A discussion is facilitated to draw parallels to real-life situations and sum up the learning objectives.
Photographs from Magic Bus areas of operation are used for representation only.