Sagar Veedhi is a slum cluster at Nandyal in Kurnool, Andhra Pradesh. Its total population stands at 854 persons. Residents mostly belong to a single community of Malas, who are a Scheduled Caste group in Andhra Pradesh. Telugu is the main spoken language.
94 percent of the households fall below the poverty line. Construction labour is the only source of livelihood for people living here.
There are no primary health centres but a government hospital lies in the vicinity. A government school and a college are also located nearby.
There are 85 children on the Magic Bus programme which began in 2014.
A few of the areas of behaviour change addressed by Magic Bus volunteers and mentors include:
• Importance of personal and environmental hygiene
• Equal treatment of boys and girls
• Importance of education
• Respect for elders
Magic Bus Sessions here are divided into three broad parts:
• Warm up: The development goal is introduced using interactive activities
• Main activity: The development goal is reinforced using sports and activities
• Review: A discussion is facilitated to draw parallels to real-life situations and sum up the learning objectives.
Photographs from Magic Bus areas of operation are used for representation only.