S.V Nagar in Kurnool district of Andhra Pradesh is home to a population of 865 persons. Inhabitants belong to Mala caste, which is enlisted as a Scheduled Caste in Andhra Pradesh. Telugu is the main language spoken here. Daily wage work is the primary occupation with people either working as agricultural labourers or in construction sites.
This community is well-connected to a primary health centre and a hospital. Both of them are at a distance of 1km from the community. A school and a college is also located nearby.
Magic Bus has been working in this community since 2011. The main thrust of our work here has been in raising awareness among parents and children on the importance of nutritious food, and the means by which they can maintain good health and cleanliness.
At present, 126 children are a part of our programme here.
A few of the areas of behaviour change addressed by Magic Bus volunteers and mentors include:
• Importance of personal and environmental hygiene
• Equal treatment of boys and girls
• Importance of education
• Respect for elders
Sessions are held on: Friday between 5.00 and 6.00pm; Sunday between 3.30 and 5.00pm; Tuesday between 4.30 and 6.00pm; Monday between 4.30 and 6.00pm; Thursday between 4.30 and 6.00pm
Magic Bus Sessions here are divided into three broad parts:
• Warm up: The development goal is introduced using interactive activities
• Main activity: The development goal is reinforced using sports and activities
• Review: A discussion is facilitated to draw parallels to real-life situations and sum up the learning objectives.
Photographs from Magic Bus areas of operation are used for representation only.