With a population of 4,500, Nehru Nagar is located to the northern side of Delhi. A mixture of people from different religious groups and languages live together. Daily wage work is the predominant source of income; most women are employed in domestic work. A smaller number is involved in manual scavenging as well.
One of the biggest challenges Magic Bus faced when it began operations in this community in 2011 was the complete lack of awareness on the importance of education. This was, to a great extent, tied to extreme poverty, and lack of livelihood options. Magic Bus began a conversation around the importance of education with parents, community members and children.
At present, there are 50 children in our programme from this community.
A few of the areas of behaviour change addressed by Magic Bus volunteers and mentors include:
• Importance of personal and environmental hygiene
• Equal treatment of boys and girls
• Importance of education
• Respect for elders
Magic Bus Sessions here are divided into three broad parts:
• Warm up: The development goal is introduced using interactive activities
• Main activity: The development goal is reinforced using sports and activities
• Review: A discussion is facilitated to draw parallels to real-life situations and sum up the learning objectives.
Photographs from Magic Bus areas of operation are used for representation only.