Narela, Pocket 11, has a population of 7,080 and is located in the north-western part of Delhi. Residents belong to religious groups of Muslims and Hindus. Daily wage work is the primary source of income.
Lack of well-paying livelihood options was underlined as one of the biggest challenges in this community. Magic Bus has been working in this area since the last five years. Its Childhood to Livelihood programme is helping children dream of a better future, a secure career, and the importance of education.
A few of the areas of behaviour change addressed by Magic Bus volunteers and mentors include:
• Importance of personal and environmental hygiene
• Equal treatment of boys and girls
• Importance of education
• Respect for elders
Magic Bus Sessions here are divided into three broad parts:
• Warm up: The development goal is introduced using interactive activities
• Main activity: The development goal is reinforced using sports and activities
• Review: A discussion is facilitated to draw parallels to real-life situations and sum up the learning objectives.
Photographs from Magic Bus areas of operation are used for representation only.