With a population of 5, 371 persons, Kowlur is located in rural Kurnool, Andhra Pradesh. There are 449 households in this community. Most inhabitants belong to the Mala caste group which is enlisted as a Scheduled Caste group in Andhra Pradesh. Telugu is the main language spoken here.
Agriculture is the primary source of income. A primary health centre is located 2km away from the community. There is a hospital approximately 8km from this community. Two schools lie in the vicinity whereas the nearest college is at a distance of 8km from this community.
When Magic Bus began its programme in 2011, there was no open space to conduct sessions in. With the help of the community and children, space was designated within the community to carry out these sessions.
At present, there are 60 children in our programme here.
A few of the areas of behaviour change addressed by Magic Bus volunteers and mentors include:
• Importance of personal and environmental hygiene
• Equal treatment of boys and girls
• Importance of education
• Respect for elders
Magic Bus sessions are held twice every week on Sundays between 10.00 and 11.30am and on Tuesdays between 9.00 and 11.30am.
Magic Bus Sessions here are divided into three broad parts:
• Warm up: The development goal is introduced using interactive activities
• Main activity: The development goal is reinforced using sports and activities
• Review: A discussion is facilitated to draw parallels to real-life situations and sum up the learning objectives.
Photographs from Magic Bus areas of operation are used for representation only.