With a population of 1,486, Kaminenipalli is located in Kurnool district of Andhra Pradesh.
Inhabitants primarily belong to a single social group, the Malas, enlisted as a Scheduled Caste in Andhra Pradesh. 91 percent of the households in this community lie below the poverty line. Telugu is the spoken language.
Agriculture is the main livelihood option for the people settled here. This community witnesses seasonal migration to neighbouring areas where groundnuts are harvested.
The nearest primary health centre is 7km away from this community. A hospital is located 4km away. There are a school and college located at a distance of 4km from this community.
Magic Bus began working in this community since 2011. There are 53 children in our programme here. One of the challenges faced by the staff in this area is the reluctance by upper caste families to send their children to the sessions. Our efforts are directed towards overcoming these deep-rooted caste-based prejudices in the community.
A few of the areas of behaviour change addressed by Magic Bus volunteers and mentors include:
• Importance of personal and environmental hygiene
• Equal treatment of boys and girls
• Importance of education
• Respect for elders
Sessions are held once every week on Sundays between 4.00 and 6.00pm.
Magic Bus Sessions here are divided into three broad parts:
• Warm up: The development goal is introduced using interactive activities
• Main activity: The development goal is reinforced using sports and activities
• Review: A discussion is facilitated to draw parallels to real-life situations and sum up the learning objectives.
Photographs from Magic Bus areas of operation are used for representation only.