With a population of 4,565 persons, Hanif Nagar is located in urban Nandyal of Kurnool, Andhra Pradesh. A majority of inhabitants belong to a single social group, the Malas, who are enlisted as a Scheduled Caste group in Andhra Pradesh. Telugu is the main language here.
Most inhabitants are daily wage workers. A primary health centre is located 2km away from the community. A hospital is located 5km from this community. There is a government school and college in the vicinity.
Magic Bus began working in this area in 2014. Since most of the inhabitants are into daily wage work, they tend to take their children along with them. Thus, one of the first challenges we faced was to get children to the sessions and convincing their parents to send them for it. At present, we have 30 children on our programme here.
A few of the areas of behaviour change addressed by Magic Bus volunteers and mentors include:
• Importance of personal and environmental hygiene
• Equal treatment of boys and girls
• Importance of education
• Respect for elders
Magic Bus Sessions here are divided into three broad parts:
• Warm up: The development goal is introduced using interactive activities
• Main activity: The development goal is reinforced using sports and activities
• Review: A discussion is facilitated to draw parallels to real-life situations and sum up the learning objectives.
Photographs from Magic Bus areas of operation are used for representation only.