With a total population of 4,724 persons, Chandbada is located at urban Nandyal in Kurnool, Andhra Pradesh. Telugu is the spoken language of this area. Most inhabitants are Muslims. 76 percent of the households in this area lie below the poverty line.
Beedi-making and running roadside fruit stalls are the predominant livelihood options of people living in this community. A primary health centre is located in the vicinity. The nearest government hospital is at a distance of 3km. A college and a school are also located near this community.
Magic Bus began working in this community since 2011. One of the toughest challenges faced by the programme here is the reluctance among parents to send their girls for mixed gender sessions. Our programme has been focussing on changing such attitudes about the mobility of girls in the community. At present, there are 30 children in our programme here.
A few of the areas of behaviour change addressed by Magic Bus volunteers and mentors include:
• Importance of personal and environmental hygiene
• Equal treatment of boys and girls
• Importance of education
• Respect for elders
Magic Bus Sessions here are divided into three broad parts:
• Warm up: The development goal is introduced using interactive activities
• Main activity: The development goal is reinforced using sports and activities
• Review: A discussion is facilitated to draw parallels to real-life situations and sum up the learning objectives.
Photographs from Magic Bus areas of operation are used for representation only.