Bogguline in urban Nandyal of Kurnool, Andhra Pradesh is home to a population of 7,036. Inhabitants largely belong to a single social group, the Boyas, who are enlisted as a Backward Class (BC) in Andhra Pradesh. 90 percent households in this area lie below the poverty line.
Most inhabitants are daily wage labours with most of them employed in construction sites or in local factories. A small number are agriculture labourers or work as lorry drivers.
A primary health centre and a hospital are located 5km away from this community. A school and a college also lie in the vicinity.
Magic Bus has been working in this community since 2014. At present, we have 50 children in our programme here.
A few of the areas of behaviour change addressed by Magic Bus volunteers and mentors include:
• Importance of personal and environmental hygiene
• Equal treatment of boys and girls
• Importance of education
• Respect for elders
Sessions are held every week on Sundays between 9.00 to 10.30am.
Magic Bus Sessions here are divided into three broad parts:
• Warm up: The development goal is introduced using interactive activities
• Main activity: The development goal is reinforced using sports and activities
• Review: A discussion is facilitated to draw parallels to real-life situations and sum up the learning objectives.
Photographs from Magic Bus areas of operation are used for representation only.