Block-A, Khadda Basti, is a locality in Suraj Park, which is near Dr. Lal Labs. Residents are economically better off than in other neighbouring communities, but some still struggle to make ends meet.
The Magic Bus programme in Block-A, Khadda Basti was started in 2011. Currently, there are about 75-80 children, of which about 60% are girls. Rocky, the Training and Monitoring Officer in charge of the programme in this community, is assisted by Youth Mentor Reena, and two Community Youth Leaders, both of whom are boys.
The Magic Bus Community Youth Leader organised a Sports Day for children in April 2014. And on May 4, 2014, a friendly football tournament was organised for these children.
Recently, children from this community were taken for the PVR Road Safety Workshop for Children.
A few of the areas of behaviour change addressed by Magic Bus volunteers and mentors include:
• Importance of personal and environmental hygiene
• Equal treatment of boys and girls
• Importance of education
• Respect for elders
Sessions are held from Wednesday to Sunday and are divided into three parts:
• Warm up: The development goal is introduced using interactive activities
• Main activity: The development goal is reinforced using sports and activities
• Review: A discussion is facilitated to draw parallels to real-life situations and sum up the learning objectives