Bawana, Block-H, is located in the north-western part of Delhi and houses a population of 3,000. Hindi is the main spoken language. A large portion of the residents belong to Scheduled Caste groups. Daily wage work is the predominant source of livelihood.
Magic Bus began its programme in 2014. The major problems in this community were a high degree of addiction and a complete lack of access to clean water. We have been conducting regular awareness meetings with parents and other stakeholders to make them more vigilant about addiction. Our sessions with children impart messages around the fallouts of addiction.
At present, there are 50 children on our programme here.
A few of the areas of behaviour change addressed by Magic Bus volunteers and mentors include:
• Importance of personal and environmental hygiene
• Equal treatment of boys and girls
• Importance of education
• Respect for elders
Magic Bus Sessions here are divided into three broad parts:
• Warm up: The development goal is introduced using interactive activities
• Main activity: The development goal is reinforced using sports and activities
• Review: A discussion is facilitated to draw parallels to real-life situations and sum up the learning objectives.
Photographs from Magic Bus areas of operation are used for representation only.