With a population of 1,747 persons, Abbipuram is located in the Kurnool district of Andhra Pradesh. Inhabitants mainly belong to a single social group, the Boyas, who are enlisted among the Backward Classes of Andhra Pradesh. Telugu is the main spoken language in this area.
Agriculture is the main source of livelihood for people in this area. There is a primary health centre in the vicinity. However, during emergencies, people have to travel a distance of 15km to reach the nearest hospital. A school is located 4km away while a college is at a similar distance from this community.
Magic Bus has been working in this community since 2011. Sixty children are a part of our programme here.
A few of the areas of behaviour change addressed by Magic Bus volunteers and mentors include:
• Importance of personal and environmental hygiene
• Equal treatment of boys and girls
• Importance of education
• Respect for elders
Sessions are held twice every Saturday between 10.00am and 11.30am, and 4.00pm and 4.30pm.
Magic Bus Sessions here are divided into three broad parts:
• Warm up: The development goal is introduced using interactive activities
• Main activity: The development goal is reinforced using sports and activities
• Review: A discussion is facilitated to draw parallels to real-life situations and sum up the learning objectives.
Photographs from Magic Bus areas of operation are used for representation only.